"____ I think I'll give up on that"

roniy

ISRAEL: Fluent Hebrew ( Speak Russian, Learning English)
When you go to a store to buy somthing, but then you realize that the price it too high. You could say " ____ I think I'll give up on that ", couldn't you ?
But what can you say at the begining ? I know that 'actually' and 'on second thought' would work here
But would 'on the second hand' be correct here ?
And are you familiar with some other ?

Thanks.

• SpanishStudent_39

USA (English)
    I would not say "I think I'll give up on that". I might say: "I think I'll pass on that". But I'd most likely say "That's too expensive"

You could use "actually" or "on second thought", but not "on second hand".

Dimcl

Canadian English
    When you go to a store to buy somthing, but then you realize that the price it too high. You could say " ____ I think I'll give up on that ", couldn't you ?
    But what can you say at the begining ? I know that 'actually' and 'on second thought' would work here
    But would 'on the second hand' be correct here ?
    And are you familiar with some other ?

Thanks.
    I've not heard "I think I'll give up on that" in this context, Roniy, but I suppose it could be used to indicate that you'll give up the idea of buying it.

"On the second hand" wouldn't be correctly used here, at the beginning of your sentence. "Second hand/secondhand" doesn't have the same meaning as "on second thought" (which would be appropriate, as you've noted).

You could simply say "I've reconsidered purchasing/buying that"

GenJen54

USA - English
    I might offer something like "no, thanks..." "Oh shoot, well...." Whatever expression of reconciliation comes to mind, really.

"On the second hand" wouldn't work. I think you are mixing two expressions, which are:

on second thought (as you noted)
    on the other hand

On the other hand is only used when you are presenting two opposing options.

On one hand, if I go out tomorrow night, I won't finish my homework.
    On the other hand, if I don't go out, I might miss the opportunity to see my friend Eric play in his band.

AngelEyes

English - United States
    You could also simply and politely say:

"Sorry, I've changed my mind."

AngelEyes

< Previous | Next >