__a hot summer day, on or in?

kkx8

Chinese
hello everybody.I'm an english learner. "on a hot summer day" is absolutely right.But sometimes I hear someone say"in a hot summer day". Is it also correct or is there a difference between the two?Please help me out. Thanks in advance.:)

• kkx8

Chinese
    Thank you so much gentlemen. Here I found a piece of news from BBC. bbc.co.uk/news/10225773

"....It would be really a challenge to take him [Nelson Mandela] out in a cold winter day to go and watch a game of football," he said."

Should it be on here?:confused:

Myridon

English - US
    Thank you so much gentlemen. Here I found a piece of news from BBC. bbc.co.uk/news/10225773

"....It would be really a challenge to take him [Nelson Mandela] out in a cold winter day to go and watch a game of football," he said."

Should it be on here?:confused:
    Yes, it should in my opinion. This is a direct quote from someone speaking. Native speakers of English make mistakes when speaking. Additionally, the speaker, Mandla Mandela, is from South Africa. English is one of several official languages of South Africa. I'm not sure if English is his first language, but he does have a strong accent which makes transcription errors a possibility or it could be something common to speakers of South African English.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    [...]

Of course, we wouldn't say summer's in prose.
    It's difficult when someone says 'Of course, we wouldn't do X', when one believes we would do X.

I can think of plenty of occasions where we would say and have said 'summer's day' in prose.

Kkx8, you make it hard for us to read you if you don't capitalize meticulously, and, particularly, if you don't put spaces between your sentences.

< Previous | Next >