a 100 dollar bill

< Previous | Next >

esperansa

Russian
Hi.
If I want to buy only 100 dollar bills in the bank, how can I explain that?

Give please only 100$ bills.

What else can I say in this case?

• Copyright

American English
    I would like hundred-dollar bills, please.
    I would like to exchange these smaller bills for hundred-dollar bills, please.

esperansa

Russian
    Thank you. Could you say 'banknotes' or something else instead of 'bills' or the "bill" is the most popular word in this context?

Copyright

American English
    Bill or notes, apparently. Banknotes is seldom heard in my life, and if it were, I would think it was awfully formal.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Depends on where your bank is. Over here and in Australia and New Zealand, we talk about hundred-dollar notes. In North America, hundred-dollar bills is the normal term.

In a face-to-face interaction at the bank, it is often not necessary to give the full form. I might say something like, 'I'd like to change two thousand dollars. I'd like it in mostly hundreds please, and maybe a fifty, two twenties and a ten.'

esperansa

Russian
    Thanks to all of you.
    So I can say, for example, 'Please, five hundreds' (5 hundred-dollar notes), right? If I want 5 notes, and each one is 5$, I am not sure I know how to say that correctly.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    So I can say, for example, 'Please, five hundreds' (5 hundred-dollar notes), right? If I want 5 notes, and each one is 5$, I am not sure I know how to say that correctly.
    Yes. And if you wanted five notes of $5 each (i.e. $25 altogether) then the cashier would ask something like "What notes would you like?" and you'd reply "Can I have five fives please?".:)

< Previous | Next >