A 19-year-old man was injured when he ran into a pole racing.

< Previous | Next >

shiness

Korean, South Korea.
a 19-year-old man was injured when he ran into a pole racing with 50 others for one of 10 spots outside a Wal-Mart.

Hey.

Of the news quotation, what can you possible imagine from "a pole" from the context? I can only think of a stick, or a rod. But they don't form any sense for me as to what the news's trying to tell.

What does a "pole" mean here? Any thoughts?

Thanks.

• shiness

Korean, South Korea.

shiness

Korean, South Korea.
    Perhaps It could have been a narrow line of people rushing towards?
    I don't really know, I'd like to get an answer from natives.

DCPaco

Spanish of Mexico/ English of the USA
    a 19-year-old man was injured when he ran into a pole racing with 50 others for one of 10 spots outside a Wal-Mart.

Thanks.
    Here then, let me restate it:

A 19-year-old man was injured when he crashed into a light pole, while racing (in his car) against 50 other drivers for one of 10 spots available in the parking lot at Wal-Mart.

shiness

Korean, South Korea.
    arghh...Were it not for an omission of conjunctions such as while, the whole context would have been much clearer and neater. :)

Thanks DCPaco. The picture's been drawn.

DCPaco

Spanish of Mexico/ English of the USA
    arghh...Were it not for an omission of conjunctions such as while, the whole context would have been much clearer and neater. :)

Thanks DCPaco. The picture's been drawn.
    Well, when you read newspapers they are loaded with idiomatic expressions and elliptical statements that usually native speakers or those of that region would understand clearly without the need for the extras. I'm with you that it could have been more clearly written, though.

< Previous | Next >