a 2:I in Philosophy

< Previous | Next >

saudara

Spain
Hello. I'm wondering whether you could help me with this one.
I'm reading "A Spot of Bother" by Mark Haddon, and I seem to be having some problems with the following paragraph:
"What was Katie doing? You could not control children, he knew that. Making them eat vegetables was hard enough. But marrying Ray? She had a 2:I in Philosophy. And that chap who had climbed into her car in Leeds. She had given the police a part of his ear."
What exactly is "a 2:I in Philosophy"? Is it some sort of qualification?
Thanks

• MichaelW

English (British)
    It is a university Degree in Philosophy and quite a good grade, normally the range is 3, 2, 2:1 and 1.

saudara

Spain
    Thank you MichaelW.
    Just to clarify things, so the best grade there is is 1 and 2:1 is second best, right?

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    It may well vary from university to university, but at Oxford the honours degrees were 1 (First class ) , 2:1 (Upper Second class - the one referred to in the original question), a 2:2 (Lower second class) and 3 (Third class).

First class degrees usually were no more than 5(-10)% of the total, so, yes a 2:1 is good.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    SwissPete,
    I have seen lowercase Roman numerals used for the subcategory, as in 2:ii or 2:i, but usually by people who use those same numerals for the month in a date (today would be 28:vi:2009). It is clearly a number that is to be understood, but the Greeks and Romans didn't have them and they had to make do with "letters" :(

< Previous | Next >