a '2' that her camp spun into an '11'

Discussion in 'English Only' started by sus4, Sep 10, 2006.

1. sus4

sus4 Senior Member

Japan - Japanese
    Hello,

I don't understand the meaning of the bold-faced phrase below. Could anyone explain it to me?

The relationship, a Mayer friend tells the magazine, was "a '2' that her camp spun into an '11.'" [ref]

Thank you.

-sus4

2. Giordano Bruno

Giordano Bruno Senior Member

English, England
    I'm baffled too. World War II often looks like World War 11, but I don't think that will help you much.

3. SPQR Senior Member

US
    American English
    Based on reading the article is has to do with a 1-10 scale.

Often in AE (I'm not sure about BE) we scale things on a 1-10. "1" being very bad and "10" being the best (remember the movie "10"). Sometimes we exaggerate and use "11" for "even better" than 10.

The line from the article is quoting Mayer who dumped Simpson, and he implies that their relationship was really a "2" - not a very serious relationship at all. But that the Simpson "handlers", "advisors", "camp" had implied that the relationship was "super", more than a "10", so an "11". This is typical Hollywood hype.

4. nelliot53

nelliot53 Senior Member

Puerto Rico
    Spanish-[PR]; English-[US]
    The relationship, a Mayer friend tells the magazine, was "a '2' that her camp spun into an '11.'

If I understand correctly, the relationship was between two (2), but the two got separated into its individual components 1 and 1, therefore:

2...into 11

That's the logic I find in the statement. ???

5. GenJen54

GenJen54 Senior Member

Downright Pleasant, USA
    USA - English
    I think that SPQR has hit the nail on the head.

He (Mayer) is describing the intensity of the relationship using a rating scale 1-10, adding an extra rating for emphasis.

This kind of construct is not uncommon in AE.

Friend One: How was the movie?
    Friend Two: Ah, okay. I'd give it about a 5.

Even doctors will use a scale (1-5, 1-10) to help patients describe the severity of pain.

6. sus4

sus4 Senior Member

Japan - Japanese
    Thank you all for your help.

SPQR,
    Your explanation is very clear and helpful. I understand the meaning now.

GenJen54,
    Thank you for the example. I just wrote it down.

-sus4