A 4-year-old baby

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Is it natural to call a 4-year-old girl a baby?
    No. Certainly not in BE. It sounds really weird. In broad terms, you stop being a baby when you can walk and talk.

Your source, Feedytv, seems to be written by non-native speakers as there are quite a number of mistakes.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    No, by no means a baby at that age. It's obviously not written by a native speaker.

From your link:
    Brielle shared with MC Steve Harvey and the audience that the mother taught her these knowledge. The lovely apperance as well as intelligence, the girl has great hold on the hearts of everyone.

Chasint

English - England
    Hi,
    “4-year-old baby can read skeletal bone functions and remember the periodic table of chemical elements “
    Is it natural to call a 4-year-old girl a baby? The quote is from this link 4-year-old baby can read skeletal bone functions and remember the periodic table of chemical elements

Thank you in advance.
    “4-year-old baby can read skeletal bone functions ... :cross:

“4-year-old can read skeletal bone functions ... :tick:

“4-year-old girl can read skeletal bone functions ... :tick:

london calling

UK English
    [Off-topic comment deleted. DonnyB - moderator]

Getting back to the OP: a four-year-old baby? No, definitely not. And I just took a look at the link: whoever wrote it isn't a native speaker of English.

Last edited by a moderator:

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    It didn’t sound weird to me upon a first read, but now that I think about it, many four-year-olds are already going to kindergarten, and kindergarten-goers are definitely not babies. :thumbsup:

Hermione Golightly

British English
    It all depends on who's calling you 'baby', doesn't it. 'Baby', 'babe', 'bae', 'babes' ... .
    The upper limit for 'baby' is two-years old. Then the child is a 'toddler' for about 18 months. After that they are a 'child'. They might be a 'young child' or a 'very young child'.
    It's not so different from the 'girl' vs 'woman' problem.

< Previous | Next >