a 40m and 20m pool vs a 40m×20m pool

marsbeing

What is the correct way to say a pool that is 40m long and 20m wide, a 40m and 20m pool or a 40m×20m pool? Or rather, both forms are acceptable?

Thanks in advance for your help.

• DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    The usual way to do that is "a 40m×20m pool". :)

If I saw "a 40m and 20m pool" it would suggest to me two pools, one 40m and the other one 20m. :confused:

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    If you want to write it to reflect how it is said, '40m by 20m' is possible, but the form given by Donny is the most common.

marsbeing

Thanks Donny.

So a 40m and 20m pool means something quite different. It means two pools, one 40m long on each side, and the other 20m long on each side. Am I correct?

Andygc

British English
    It's 40 m by 20 m or 40 m x 20 m. "And" makes no sense except in "... a pool that is 40 m long and 20 m wide ..."

Note the space between the number and the abbreviated unit. That is the correct style of the International System of Units.

natkretep

I would assume that, marsbeing. The length is usually more significant for a swimming pool. I'd assume that a 40m pool was forty metres long and a 20m pool was twenty metres long.

natkretep

Yes, if you say there is a 40-metre pool, you are specifying the length but not the width. (Sometimes people talk about the width in terms of the number of lanes rather than actual length as well: 'an 8-lane, 40-metre pool'.)

< Previous | Next >