a 5-minute walk from the/a bus stop

< Previous | Next >

cointi

Polish
Hello,

I'm writing to a friend describing my neighborhood.

a) My house is located a 5-minute walk from the bus stop.
b) My house is located a 5-minute walk from a bus stop.

a) because I'm thinking of this specific bus stop
b) because the person I'm writing to has no idea which bus stop I'm talking about and it is one of many bus stops in the city

I would lean towards a) but the reasoning behind b) seems sound.

• Copyright

American English
    Since you're likely talking about the nearest bus stop, I would use "the" to mean "the nearest bus stop." I also don't think you need "located," although it's not wrong.

My house is just a 5-minute walk from the bus stop.
    My house is just a 5-minute walk to the bus stop.

cointi

Polish
    Hey,

I've been thinking about this one. What if I wanted to say My house is just a 5-minute walk from an/the elementary school. Should the be used here as well? The reader does not know this school, but he had asked if there was an elementary school in the neighborhood.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    If the reader doesn't care which elementary school it is, I'd use "a."

(Ooops - that should, of course, be "an," as Copyright pointed out helpfully below.)

Last edited:

kentix

English - U.S.
    I think my answers would be context-dependent. If I had children attending the school, I would say "it's just a five minute walk to the (elementary) school", because I have a connection to it. If I rode the bus regularly, I'd probably say "to the bus stop" but if I drove regularly and didn't use the bus system I'd probably say "to a bus stop", since I don't have a real connection to it.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    I'd say "the bus stop" to mean the nearest one, or the one I normally use.

Given the OP's context of having been asked whether there was a school nearby, I'd use "the" with 'school' as well. :)

cointi

Polish
    Thank you, your contributions are of great help in my lifelong quest to understand English articles.

< Previous | Next >