A 69-word sentence

Mmustafa

Egypt, Arabic
Hi all,
While reading this abstract, I came across a very long sentence. It is difficult for me to figure out the intended meaning. So would please divide it into its constituent parts?
Thanks

While the white slave films, tracing the fate of the innocent young woman lured into forced prostitution by unscrupulous procurers (or rescued in the nick of time), have received considerable critical attention, no doubt partly because of the highly controversial social phenomenon to which they refer,(1) the tale of the fallen woman prostitute in film has, apart from some pioneering work by Leslie Fishbein, been little documented or analysed.

• Elwintee

England English
    Hi all,
    While reading this abstract, I came across a very long sentence. It is difficult for me to figure out the intended meaning. So would please divide it into its constituent parts?
    Thanks
    It's quite a mouthful, isn't it? I'll try to break it down a bit.
    If we tackle the main verbs, we can split up the sentence as follows:
    While the white slave films [, tracing the fate of the innocent young woman lured into forced prostitution by unscrupulous procurers (or rescued in the nick of time), ] have received considerable critical attention, [no doubt partly because of the highly controversial social phenomenon to which they refer,(1)] the tale of the fallen woman prostitute in film has [, apart from some pioneering work by Leslie Fishbein,] been little documented or analysed.
    If you read just the red words above you can see the 'backbone' of the sentence, based on the verbs 'have received' and 'has been'. The parts in blue are subsidiary and just elaborate on the red parts. I think the writer was particularly unhelpful in bracketing has and been around a subordinate clause.
    I hope this helps. :)

xtrasystole

France
    While the white slave films, tracing the fate of the innocent young woman lured into forced prostitution by unscrupulous procurers (or rescued in the nick of time), have received considerable critical attention, no doubt partly because of the highly controversial social phenomenon to which they refer,(1) the tale of the fallen woman prostitute in film has, apart from some pioneering work by Leslie Fishbein, been little documented or analysed.
    (Also, as an alternative to Elwintee's response): Look at it this way:

- The tale of the fallen woman prostitute in film has been little documented or analysed, apart from some pioneering work by Leslie Fishbein,
    while

- the white slave films(*) have received considerable critical attention(**)

(*): [that trace] the fate of the innocent young woman lured into forced prostitution by unscrupulous procurers (or rescued in the nick of time)
    (**): no doubt partly because of the highly controversial social phenomenon to which they refer,(1)

< Previous | Next >