a 77 °F afternoon high temperature

Gabriel Malheiros

Portuguese - Brazil
Hi, everybody

I want to learn more talking about wheather forecast. If I want to talk the high temperature during the afternoon could I say the following?

"A 77° F afternoon high temperature today and tomorrow"

Would it be incorret to say that? and to use the article "a"?

Thank you

• Gabriel Malheiros

Portuguese - Brazil
    Please give us the complete sentence, Gabriel. Is your specific question about the use of "a?"

No, it's about the phrase with adjectives 77 °F and afternoon.

The sentence is as it is. It's as if the a weather report is reporting the forecast for today and tomorrow.

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Without the complete sentence or the surrounding context, it is impossible to say for sure whether "a 77° F afternoon high" would be how we would normally express the idea.

Gabriel Malheiros

Portuguese - Brazil
    Without the complete sentence or the surrounding context, it is impossible to say for sure whether "a 77° F afternoon high" would be how we would normally express the idea.
    It's something like: Today will be a hot day, with a 77° F high during the afternoon --> Today will be hot with a 77° F afternoon high temperature"

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Yes, that sounds like something an American weather forecaster on radio or TV might say, except for mentioning degrees and "F", since the audience would be expected to assume that the number means degrees Fahrenheit. It would just be, "Today will be hot, with a high of 77 during the afternoon."

Gabriel Malheiros

Portuguese - Brazil
    Yes, that sounds like something an American weather forecaster on radio or TV might say, except for mentioning degrees and "F", since the audience would be expected to assume that the number means degrees Fahrenheit. It would just be, "Today will be hot, with a high of 77 during the afternoon."
    Is it better to say "a high of 77" than "a 77 high" and "during the afternoon" than to use afternoon as an adjective as I did? "a 77 afternoon high temperature". Does that sound odd to you, Parla?

Last edited:

Randisi.

American English; USA
    To American ears, "a 77 afternoon high temperature" sounds exceedingly odd. A simple "a sunny day with a high of 77" will do. Most often, we don't even say "afternoon" since that is understood.

But honestly, in my experience, weather forecasters usually aren't that precise with the temperature. They're more likely to say something like "it's going to be a sunny day with highs in the upper 70s."

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Is it better to say "a high of 77" than "a 77 high" and "during the afternoon" than to use afternoon as an adjective as I did? "a 77 afternoon high temperature". Does that sound odd to you, Parla?
    Yes, it's better; that's why I suggested it. ;)
    And yes, as Randisi says, "a 77 afternoon high temperature" does sound odd.

Gabriel Malheiros

Portuguese - Brazil
    Parla, I only put "afternoon" as an adjective because I saw this sentence in a weather forecast website: Here’s the latest HRRR for today and NAM 4k for tomorrow during peak afternoon high temperatures

But I have always used afternoon after during or "in the". So , when I read that sentence, I got confused. But you already enlightened me.

Gabriel Malheiros

Portuguese - Brazil
    Parla, could you tell me what that noun phrase means? I mean, this:

peak afternoon high temperatures

There are many noun as adjectives, and I am confused, not least in relation to "peak afternoon"

< Previous | Next >