A ___ of thunder

< Previous | Next >


Senior Member

I understand that thunder (in its most commonly used sense) is an uncountable noun. When you talk about an instance of lightning (also uncountable), you can say "a bolt of lightning" as far as I know.
Is there a similar word for thunder? I.e., can I say something like this:
"Yesterday during the storm I heard two _____s of thunder, so there must have been two bolts of lightning."

(This thread mentions "a crack of thunder", but as it turns out, not in the actual sense of thunder, but rather a thunder-like sound an object made.)

  • kentix

    Senior Member
    English - U.S.
    Clap. :thumbsup:

    That's if it's loud, but short(ish) and sharp. Thunder can also roll, if it lasts a long time but is less sharp.

    Sparky Malarky

    English - US
    The thing is, there can be thunder without lightning. Also, lightening is a brief event, while thunder can be ongoing. And as everyone has mentioned above, there are a lot of words to describe thunder because there are a lot of different kinds of noises thunder makes.

    I find it unlikely that someone would say "I heard two _____ of thunder." I might say "I heard thunder twice."


    Senior Member
    British English (Sussex)
    There were two huge claps of thunder that shook the house and then the resin came then even harder.
    :confused: We sawed down a dead pine tree in the garden yesterday, and we had a few bursts of thunder today, but I can't say it's had any effect at all on the resin.:D


    Senior Member
    English - U.S.
    Love the auto correct.:eek: I fixed it right away but apparently not right away right away.
    < Previous | Next >