A + adjective + proper noun ?

Eddie Kim

Korean
Hi.

I was reading an online article of White Walkers in Game of Thrones, the series novel by George R. R. Martin, and some words kept me from going further.

I've made the part in bold type.

Here is the context :

After disposing of the remaining bodies, Sam tells Jon that he read that only the touch of a White Walker could do what they have seen tonight. A worried Sam notes the weakness of the Night's Watch and if the White Walkers decide to come in force then they are in real trouble.

------------------------------------------------------------
Here's my question : Does "A worried Sam" mean "A (little bit) worried Sam"?

Thanks for your help in advance.

If it makes it easier for you to make an answer, here's the link to the article : http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/White_Walkers

• Eddie Kim

Korean
    I see.

Well, by context, I can take that to mean Sam is in the state of worry, but I still don't understand why the indefinite article is used there.

Could you please tell me a rule for it if it exists?

Thanks.

garfieldwang

Chinese-China
    Yes,
    A worried Sam
    A terrified Sam
    A saddened Sam
    It's simply a past participle that functions as an adjective here to describe his state of mind.

Eddie Kim

Korean
    Let me guess.
    Does "A worried Sam" refer to Sam's specific feeling of worry ?
    I still don't know why the indefinite article is used there.
    I think It could be about particularity and generalness.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    A + adjective + noun/proper noun -> of a new or changed circumstance - "A happier cat/Mr Smith left the house that morning."

A worried Sam left the house = Sam, who at the moment is worried, left the house.

Arcona

German
    <Thread merged with an earlier thread>

Hello,

could I write "A + adjective + name of a person" e.g. "A cheerful Mathilda" as a short comment on the back of a picture? (Picture of my little nice dancing happily through her garden.)

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    The grammar of this construction is this: we are imagining different versions of this person - so that is a picture of a young Matilda, and this one of an older Matilda; that is one of a happy Matilda, and this is one of an angry Matilda. It's as if there is more than one Matilda. We can also use the definite article like this: the happy Matilda ran down the road.

< Previous | Next >