EX.i have bought (a or an ) new pop album
EX.This is ( a or an) nice Album
Ex.I Got ( a or an ) album of new songs of my favorite singer

• Anne58

English
    EX.i have bought (a or an ) new pop album
    EX.This is ( a or an) nice Album
    Ex.I Got ( a or an ) album of new songs of my favorite singer
    Your answer of 'a' is correct in only 2 of your examples. In english, the preposition 'a' must never be followed by a word beginning with a vowel; you must use 'an' in those instances . . . . .so . . . . . ex 1 and 2 you can use 'a' but in ex 3 you need to use 'an'

momo448

Banned
    Arabic & French
    OK . i got it but can i use an in ex.1 and 2 ...and if i use an in" i have bought a new or an new umbrella " a "will be right and "an" will be wrong

Copyright

American English
    Your answer of 'a' is correct in only 2 of your examples. In english, the preposition 'a' must never be followed by a word beginning with a vowel
    I'm sorry but this is not true. We talk about a unicorn and a uniform. We decide on whether to use "a" or "an" based on the sound of the vowel, not the vowel letter.

Here is a previous thread that will help:
    An & words beginning with a vowel

And we speak of English with a capital E. :)

Copyright

American English
    OK . i got it but can i use an in ex.1 and 2 ...and if i use an in" i have bought a new or an new umbrella " a "will be right and "an" will be wrong
    You use "a" in your first two examples because the next words after "a" begin with consonants: new and nice. Your decision no longer depends on album because it is not the next word after "a."

Fabulist

Banned
    American English
    Your answer of 'a' is correct in only 2 of your examples. In english, the preposition 'a' must never be followed by a word beginning with a vowel; you must use 'an' in those instances . . . . .so . . . . . ex 1 and 2 you can use 'a' but in ex 3 you need to use 'an'
    "A" and "an" are articles, not prepositions.

A, an = indefinite article

The = definite article

There are many prepositions. They are followed by "objects." Some show spatial relationships like in, on, into, under, below, etc. Some show other relationships, like for, by, of. Some are phrases, like "on behalf of." None come in pairs depending on whether the next word begins with a vowel or consonant sound.

< Previous | Next >