"A" also uses the verb “to shift" at the end of.

Japanese and Japan
The passage below is part of what I transcribed, listening to a radio program. The blank below is where I got stuck. The commentator is talking about Cortez’s utterance about “yard sale.”
Cortez: People sell anything and everything---clothing, beds, sofas, chairs, desks, bottles, fruit jars, lawn mowers, camping articles, needlework, jewelry, dishes, and whatever else they want to shift.

Commentator: Cortez uses the verb "to shift" at the end of. In this case, it means to get rid of something. And I think, by choosing this verb, she makes it sound sort of cold and logical, getting rid of your former possessions.

I think I should have heard something like "it" or "her sentence" at the end of the first sentence by the commentator. I listened for them several times, but I couldn’t hear any word(s) there.

If the end of the first sentence by the commentator is as it is, is it natural English? What do you think? Any comment would be appreciated.

• Oschito

English, USA
    Agreed, the phrase is incomplete. But then, this sort of thing happens in speech rather frequently. Folks start saying something and then just forget to finish, or perhaps leave out a word or two.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I suspect that you all are correct, that the commentator began to say something like "at the end of her sentence", but moved on to another thought.

However, the sentence would be grammatical and intelligible without "of".
    Cortez uses the verb "to shift" at the end [of].​

< Previous | Next >