A/an: e-mail

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Carb, Jul 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carb New Member

Swedish
    >This thread was split from this one. Only one question per thread, please.<

I was under the impression that "to text" or "texting" was only used when describing SMS, or possibly instant messaging, such as MSN messenger or ICQ. Can it also be used to describe an email or a letter?

Offtopic: Can I use "an email or letter" even though it technically is "an email" and "a letter"?

Offtopic2: First post, hi forum.wordreference.com! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2008
  2. liliput

liliput Senior Member

Spain
    U.K. English
    Hi Carb, and welcome to the forum.

No, the verb "to text" is only used for SMS. That is what we were referring to. You would not use it to describe sending an email or a letter.

In your second question, do you mean in a sentence like "Please send me an email or letter"? If so, then yes, this is fine

Additional: When recruiting, I frequently ask people to email me a cover letter. This is because I want to receive it by email but in the style of a formal letter.

3. Vickyhere Senior Member

Italian
    You can say:
    ...I received an email
    ...I'm sending an email
    ...I'm writing an email
    whenever you are working or talking about an email.

You can say:
    ...I received a letter
    ...I'm sending a letter
    ...I'm writing a letter
    whenever you are working or talking about a letter normally on paper or on computer if it is on word or other word processors.

I do not think so that you can use text for email, letter or MSN/ICQ. I use to say "I'm writing you a message on MSN/ICQ" or "I'm sending you an email" or "I'm emailing you what you need" or "I'm writing (or sending) you a letter".

Naturally all these are suggestions from a non native English.

4. Carb New Member

Swedish
    Cheers :)

I was actually referring to the last sentece before the actual question;

I'm assuming the answer is the same, and that the switch of article is uneccesary.

Does it always work this way when using two words with different articles right after eachother?

An apple
    A banana
    "I'd like an apple and banana, please."?

An orange
    A grapefruit
    "Do you want a grapefruit or orange?"?

Are they also correct? Saying them out loud makes me feel like at least the first example needs to be "a banana".

5. Nunty

Nunty Modified

Jerusalem
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    Moderator note:
    There are many threads dealing with "a/an" usage. Please look at them and if you still have questions, you are welcome to reply in one of the existing threads. Here is a link to get you started. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.