A/an: hotel

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Ume, Jun 7, 2008.

1. fatbaby Senior Member

Beijing
    China Chinese
    You are right, A HOTEL, not AN HOTEL. H in HOTEL is different to that in HOUR.

2. xqby

xqby Senior Member

Oxnard, CA
    English (U.S.)
    If you insist that "hotel" and "oh tell" rhyme then it's acceptable. As the article says, that accent is becoming less common, but it's still fine if that's how you talk.

3. GreenWhiteBlue

GreenWhiteBlue Senior Member

The City of New York
    USA - English
    Fatbaby is mistaken. It may not be common, but it is perfectly acceptable.

4. fatbaby Senior Member

Beijing
    China Chinese
    GWB, I am surprised to know that A HOTEL is acceptable,my Collins and Longman Dictionaries don't tell me that.I guess it is only acceptable in informal talks?

5. xqby

xqby Senior Member

Oxnard, CA
    English (U.S.)
    It is acceptable in all contexts if the person speaking or writing does not pronounce the "h."

The same holds true for the other examples given; it would be silly for me to claim "a herb" is incorrect simply because I would write "an herb."

6. fatbaby Senior Member

Beijing
    China Chinese
    XQBY,Please tell me what your English teachers told you about the correct A/AN choice before HOTEL? Are you telling me that in US, both are acceptable? Thanks again.

7. GreenWhiteBlue

GreenWhiteBlue Senior Member

The City of New York
    USA - English
    Both are acceptable, even when the "h" is pronounced (and I believe it is the case in the UK as well as in the US.) It is far more common today to hear "a hotel", just as it is far more common to hear "a historian." However, while it is old-fashioned, it is perfectly acceptable to use "an" in both of these cases:
    an hotel
    an historian.