A/an: LA (abbreviation)

Lazlow

British English
Hi everybody

I'm translating a text into English, and it has frequent references to "an/a LA", where LA = local anaesthetic.

I've found myself unsure, however, as to whether the indefinite article should be "a" or "an", since it's more natural to say "an LA" (an "el ay"), but as it would be a local anaesthetic, is it correct to write "a LA"?

Many thanks!

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I'll find the previous threads on this topic in a moment, and post links.

The word following the article is, as you have said "el". It begins with a vowel sound. The article should therefore be "an".

You will find the previous threads listed at a an abbreviation

relic5.2

English - Ireland
    I don't think what they mean is applicable here, panjandrum, but in the case of an acronym it would be.

I think jdot means if you say "el ay" you put an before it "an el-ay", but if you say "lah", you use a "a lah".

Forero

If you read it as "a local anæsthetic", write "a L.A.", but if you read it as "an el ay", write "an L.A." As I see it, the choice of a or an depends only on the following sound, not on how the next word may be written.

jdotjdot89

American English
    If you read it as "a local anæsthetic", write "a L.A.", but if you read it as "an el ay", write "an L.A." As I see it, the choice of a or an depends only on the following sound, not on how the next word may be written.
    Yes, that's what I meant. Sorry for the lack of clarity in my post.

< Previous | Next >