a --- and a --- (redundancy of the determiner 'a')

< Previous | Next >

Meaning_beyond

English-UK
Hi all,

I wonder if you can guide me about this; I am writing a procedure for something and a little confused about the use of 'a' (the determiner that comes before a singular noun).
The sentence goes like this: ''This image was created using a format tool (name of format tool) and a macros tool (name of macros tool)''. But it seems that the second 'a' is redundant and so I was wondering if it can be avoided and I can say ''This image was created using a format tool (name of format tool) and macros tool (name of macros tool)''?

Also should there be a comma after tool? as in ''This image was created using a format tool, (name of format tool) and ~~~''. Or only if I describe the tool more e.g. ''This image was created using a format tool (name of format tool), (extra description), and ~~~.

Thank you very much in advance.

• owlman5

English-US
    Hello, Meaning_beyond. If the second article (determiner) seems redundant to you, I think you could safely omit it without damaging your sentence. That article doesn't look redundant to me, and I would probably leave it in if I were writing the sentence.

I do think you need a comma between "format tool" and whatever the name of that format tool is: using a format tool, Tool X, and...

Meaning_beyond

English-UK
    Thank you very much owlman5 and JustKate; this was my first thread and I really appreciate the quick response :)

I do think you need a comma between "format tool" and whatever the name of that format tool is: using a format tool, Tool X, and...
    About the use of comma, I agree that in that sentence I need the commas; but do you think it depends on the context? For instance take the phrase ''also an essential amino acid trytophan is found in ...''
    Doesn't it seem that the reader anticipates the name of the essential amino acid so a break (also an essential amino acid, trytophan, is found in) ...would break the flow of the sentence? Or are they both correct grammatically?

I would appreciate your opinion.

owlman5

English-US
    You are welcome. As long as your readers are very familiar with the name of that format tool, I think it would be safe to omit the comma. If there is any danger whatsoever of confusion, then I recommend that you treat "format tool" and the name of that tool as noun phrases in apposition and separate them with commas.

Please remember, Meaning_beyond, that you must focus on one specific language question at a time. I violated the rules by answering your second question about the comma. Because you are a new member, I decided to do that. However, this thread is really about whether to use the article "a" a second time. If you have other questions about your passage, you should post them in separate threads.

Last edited:

Meaning_beyond

English-UK
    Thank you very much. Sorry about bringing up two things in the same thread. In future I will make separate threads if there is more than one issue I'm tackling :)

< Previous | Next >