A and B

zhp

China and Chinese
When I say " 'A' " is blah blah, and 'B' is so and son." and in the second sentence, I don't wan to repeat these two things, I think I may use "the latter" to refere "B", right? And which term I can use to refere the "A"?
(Sorry for the clumsy explaination) Thank you.

• Boston Dude

Banned
    English of USA
    I'm sorry, I am trying to understand your question. Can you give me an example? Can you cut and paste a sentence or try to explain this differently?

zhp

China and Chinese
    Here is the sentence
    " Li in one of his interviews said that it is a film exposing the dark side of human nature rather than just simply criticizing the seamy side of society. There is a difference between these two. The former one is more profound and far-ranging applicable. "
    By the way, I'm also not so sure if "far-ranging applicable" is suitable here. I wanted to say it is more profound and can be applied to many cases and situations. Thanks.

timpeac

English (England)
    Here is the sentence
    " Li in one of his interviews said that it is a film exposing the dark side of human nature rather than just simply criticizing the seamy side of society. There is a difference between these two. The former one is more profound and far-ranging applicable. "
    By the way, I'm also not so sure if "far-ranging applicable" is suitable here. I wanted to say it is more profound and can be applied to many cases and situations. Thanks.

Drop the "one" - it's "the former and the latter" (not the former one and the latter one).

< Previous | Next >