a and by

< Previous | Next >

Antobu

italian Italia
Dear friends, In this sentece, according to you can I remove the article "a"and the preposition "by" before the word "multiplicity" - "caos" ?

We modern men and women live surrounded by the noise of modern civilization, by a multiplicity of messages, by a chaos that distracts, a sort of big funfair of ephemeral things.

Thank you.

• Antobu

italian Italia
    Dear Florentia, I am doing a translation from italian to English. I am Italian and I Think I am wrong.

Could you help me?

Last edited by a moderator:

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    We will be happy to help, if you will help first by telling us where the sentence comes from and providing some context. What is the book or article about? What is happening in the sentence before and after it? (You are allowed to quote up to four sentences in all.)

Antobu

italian Italia
    Dear friend, you are very kind. I am new in this forum and I do not know all the rules. I am translating an article. It 'a commentary on the gospel.

the text talks about the simplicity of John the Baptist. It make a difference with our society that is often surrounded by the chaos.

Last edited by a moderator:

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Thank you for providing the information.

You could eliminate the two occurrences of "by," but I think the text is clearer if you leave them in.

You could delete the "a" before "chaos," but, again, I wouldn't (especially if you plan to delete "by"). The "a" before "multiplicity" should not be deleted.

< Previous | Next >