A and the when referring to a file in texts.

< Previous | Next >

hyungsuh

korean
Hi, I am reviewing an application and I am trying to find the correct ways to say things.

If the applicant has attached a file called "statement&values" under the Company Statement section.
Can I say,

1, The "Statement & Values" has been provided as a Company Statement (the and then the file name)
2, "Statement & Values" has been provided as a Company Statement (no article)
3, The file "Statement & Values" has been provided under the Company Statement section (the and the file or the word 'attached')

Articles/no article rules are so difficult... I am trying to memorise with the examples that I see every day.

Last edited:
  • Copyright

American English
    My first thought: “The attached Statement & Values file has been provided as part of the Company Statement section.”

I’m imagining that the Statement & Values file is being sent by itself, and it is intended to be part of the Company Statement folder (in terms of filing) or section (in terms of presentation or subject).

Uncle Jack

British English
    If you refer it by name only, then no article, as in (2). Quotes or italics are good to make sure the person knows it is a filename. For one-word filenames it is useful to add the extension as well to make this clear (Statement.pdf, for example), and when I do this I usually don't bother with quotes or italics.

If you call it a file, then use 'the', as (3). The word 'file' can come before or after the filename, so you could say "The Statement & Values file...".

Quotes and italics are rare for filenames in emails where I work, but they are good English, so don't let that put you off. Italics won't be seen by the recipient if they use plain text for emails.

< Previous | Next >