a awkward moment; stage wait

kenny4528

Mandarin, Taiwan
Hi,

I'd like to know a term used in a situation where a performer or a comedian or someone who tries to amuse others but in a short period of time they fail to come up with funny ideas to go on. What do you name this case? I found two terms on-line:

a awkward moment
stage wait
however I'm unsure they really work because they're suggested by non-natives. Thanks for your advice in advance.

• Harry Batt

USA English
    advise and advice often get confused. Advice is the noun and advise is the verb.

Now, the word or excpression that you are looking for is "stage fright." If the problem is identified specifically an inability to come up with lines you could say, "writer's cramp" but that is almost exclusively assigned to writers of stories.

timpeac

English (England)
    advise and advice often get confused. Advice is the noun and advise is the verb.

Now, the word or excpression that you are looking for is "stage fright." If the problem is identified specifically an inability to come up with lines you could say, "writer's cramp" but that is almost exclusively assigned to writers of stories.
    I don't interpret what kenny describes as stage fright. Stage fright is when an actor freezes and forgets his lines. I would call what kenny describes as "drying" if the comedian is ad-libbing and fails to come up with anything amusing or "dying on stage" if they are failing to connect with the audience.

kenny4528

Mandarin, Taiwan

Thank you for your kind reply and correction, Harry.

I think I didn't express my question explicitly in my OP. What I was thinking of is a term being used in a situation where one suddenly doesn't know what to say in next couple of minutes so people around (including the speaker himself) would also feel a bit uncomfortable in that case.

timpeac

English (England)
    Thank you for your kind reply and correction, Harry.

I think I didn't express my question explicitly in my OP. What I was thinking of is a term being used in a situation where one suddenly doesn't know what to say in next couple of minutes so people around (including the speaker himself) would also feel a bit uncomfortable in that case.
    So are you talking about a performer or not? If you are talking about normal social interaction I'd call what you describe an awkward silence or pause.

kenny4528

Mandarin, Taiwan
    I don't interpret what kenny describes as stage fright. Stage fright is when an actor freezes and forgets his lines. I would call what kenny describes as "drying" if the comedian is ad-libbing and fails to come up with anything amusing or "dying on stage" if they are failing to connect with the audience.
    Thank you too, timpeac. So dying on stage can apply to casual talk or conversation with friends?

kenny4528

Mandarin, Taiwan
    So are you talking about a performer or not? If you are talking about normal social interaction I'd call what you describe an awkward silence or pause.
    Sorry, I was referring to casual conversation. I didn't aware that there is a difference in English between performers and common people. In my mother tongue there is a term that applies to either case.

< Previous | Next >