a bab?

cyaxares_died

Banned
Deutsch
What are British English synonyms of "roll", "sandwich"?
I had the vague recollection that one term was "bab", but I might just be confusing that with "bun". Total confusion is not unknown to my mind.

• ewie

English English
    Yes, bap is the word you're looking for, though technically that's just the bun ~ you need to specify a filling for it to be a sandwich: bacon bap, cheese and tomato bap, etc.

manon33

English - England (Yorkshire)
    What are British English synonyms of "roll", "sandwich"?
    I had the vague recollection that one term was "bab", but I might just be confusing that with "bun". Total confusion is not unknown to my mind.
    'Bap' is northern, also 'barm'..you also hear 'butty' (more in the south). I think I've heard 'cob' as well somewhere. As ewie says, you usually need to specify a filling, otherwise it's just a breadcake. Oh! There's another one.

ewie

English English
    Barmcake or barm cake (other names for barm)is another common name in my corner of the UK, Cyax. (I just did a search and apparently this is the first ever mention of barmcakes in these forums.) Like the others, you need to specify what's in it: my local chippie sells chip barms:)

Last edited:

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    A bap is a bread roll of some kind.
    bap A small loaf or ‘roll’ of bakers' bread, made of various sizes and shapes in different parts of Scotland.

I haven't come upon barm, except in combination.
    barm cake n. Eng. regional (now chiefly north.) a bread roll.
    barmbrack Anglo-Irish A currant-bun.

A butty is, surely, some kind of bread with butter and a filling?
    butty A slice of bread and butter.

A cob is a small loaf. I might have a bap for lunch, but not a whole cob.
    cob A small loaf of roundish form, a cob-loaf.

Definitions are from the OED.

manon33

English - England (Yorkshire)
    A butty is, surely, some kind of bread with butter and a filling?
    butty A slice of bread and butter.

Definitions are from the OED.
    I can confirm with some certainty that in the north of England at least 'butties' are not just bread and butter, but whole sandwiches. 'I've got some butties' = I've brought a packed lunch

ewie

English English
    A famous chain of up-market-ish fish and chips shops, based in West Yorkshire, calls its chip sandwiches chip butties.
    Buttie is the 'default' word for me, whether it's between two slices of bread or in some kind of bun/roll/bap/barmcake/ovenbottom/etc.

cyaxares_died

Banned
    Deutsch
    I used to live in southern England so the word that was actually stored away somewhere in my mind and that I was trying to drag up, was indeed "butty" I remember clearly now. "Ba[p]", which I must have heard more recently, somehow wedged itself in between the background murkiness of my mind and my surface consciousness.

Thanks in any event for the elaborate discussion of sandwiches, certainly useful things to know ;)

< Previous | Next >