a bad seed

< Previous | Next >

HSS

Standard Japanese, Sendaian Japanese
Hello, could you help me understand this term --- a bad seed. I guess this means something like a wet blanket? What does it mean, and is it largely used?

(They just double-dated with George and his girlfriend)
JODI: I have to tell you, I really don't like him.
JERRY: Yeah, me either.
JODI: It's just I hate that type.
JERRY: Yeah, he's a bad seed.
(Seinfeld, The Masseuse)

Hiro

• idialegre

USA English
    "Bad seed" does not mean "wet blanket." It refers instead to the seed which is the masculine semen ("semen" is the Latin word for seed) that goes into making a baby. This usage is often found in the Bible, as in "the seed of Abraham," i.e. the descendants of Abraham.

"Bad seed" therefore means a bad person, one who was probably just born bad, particularly in contrast with other siblings who are not bad people.

HSS

Standard Japanese, Sendaian Japanese
    Seeds will grow and bear fruit with seeds, and the process repeats itself. Maybe the connotation of a 'bad seed' has it that he/she may have a bad influence on their family after him/her. Is it possible?

Arrius

English, UK
    Good seed is normally to be taken literally, as in the hymn: "We plough the fields and scatter the good seed on the land, but it is fed and watered by God's almighty hand".
    However, I could well imagine a racist or eugenicist using it, though for the actual spermatozoa and its genetic properties rather than the baby.

George French

English - UK
    Bad seed in this case could/does just means:-

"he got his "bad" features form his fertilised egg/seed (not just the male side). Poor sod, it not his fault.

GF..

Genetics rules..... but of course they may be/are wrong..... :)

< Previous | Next >