a badass

KatSyKat

Ukrainian
!Hola! Can I use "chica dura" meaning a "badass"(a cool and empowered woman/girl who will not let herself be offended)? If not, can you provide some alternatives?
I want it to be a compliment so I don't want it to sound somehow offensive.
Thanks in advance.

• gengo

American English
    "Don't mess with her because she is a real badass."
    Such words are extremely difficult to translate properly. That word is full of layered nuance. It original referred to a sort of criminal, someone who was mean and causes trouble. From there, it came to mean a man who was physically strong and willing to fight, and still conveyed a negative nuance. Then it started being used to refer to men who were strong in a more positive way, with less emphasis on physical strength and violence. And now you are using it (properly) to refer to a woman.

Therefore, to find the best Spanish translation, we would need much more context, to know exactly what kind of woman this refers to, and the degree to which the word is positive or negative (it could be either).

KatSyKat

Ukrainian
    Such words are extremely difficult to translate properly. That word is full of layered nuance. It original referred to a sort of criminal, someone who was mean and causes trouble. From there, it came to mean a man who was physically strong and willing to fight, and still conveyed a negative nuance. Then it started being used to refer to men who were strong in a more positive way, with less emphasis on physical strength and violence. And now you are using it (properly) to refer to a woman.

Therefore, to find the best Spanish translation, we would need much more context, to know exactly what kind of woman this refers to, and the degree to which the word is positive or negative (it could be either).
    No specific context, except what I wrote above. I want to use it as a compliment. She is strong, confident, bold, but not aggressive or angry.

From Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English:
    bad-ass adjective [only before noun] American English (informal)
    1. very good or impressive
    bad-ass biker gear
    2. a bad-ass person is very determined and does not always obey rules – used to show approval
    Johnson plays this bad-ass cop named O'Riley.

From Cambridge Dictionary:
    • used to describe someone or something you admire or find impressive: You look badass!

Multidict offers to use genio, genia; campeón, campeona; lo mejor, or tremendo/a, fantástico/a, brutal, but I don't think that they really fit in.

Circunflejo

Castellano de Castilla
    Maybe una chica de armas tomar. Perhaps dura de pelar might work too. I don't have yet a clear picture of the intended meaning that you want to give to badass.

pollohispanizado

Inglés canadiense
    In México: ¡Es una chingona! (at least if you are talking about how confident or cool she is/how much she takes charge/etc.) A bad ass or, as has gotten popular to say these days (though it is kind of vulgar): a boss bitch.

Circunflejo

Castellano de Castilla
    Sin embargo

de armas tomar...

Eso da en el clavo. :thumbsup:
    Esa fue mi primera opción, pero me pareció a bit too much si se pretende usar como en los enlaces 1 y 3 del mensaje 7. Sin embargo, releyendo dichos enlaces, veo que quizá no sea a bit too much como me había parecido porque sí que encaja bastante bien.

KatSyKat

Ukrainian
    I've googled de armas tomar and found this :

de armas tomar

es una mujer de armas tomar she’s not someone you mess around with
    Copyright © by HarperCollins Publishers. All rights reserved.

It's almost the same as in the third message.
    So, "Don't mess with her because she is a real badass." will be "No te metas con ella porque es una mujer de armas tomar", right?

Circunflejo

Castellano de Castilla
    So, "Don't mess with her because she is a real badass." will be "No te metas con ella porque es una mujer de armas tomar", right?
    Yes. Maybe you could use auténtica mujer de armas tomar for more emphasis (due to the real of the original in English) but it sounds better without it.