a bag

< Previous | Next >

Iamarprestaraen

Russia
When we say "the soldier came over with a 'bag'", can "bag" mean "bag and baggage"? Can it be some slang equivalent for "discharge"?

• Elwintee

England English
    When we say "the soldier came over with a 'bag'", can "bag" mean "bag and baggage"? Can it be some slang equivalent for "discharge"?
    I've no idea what this means - can you let us have the context? Perhaps bag stands for kit-bag, meaning the floppy, sausage-shaped cloth bag he carries his personal items in? I have to admit this seems unlikely, as 'bag' is mostly an abbreviation for a (woman's) handbag.

se16teddy

English - England
    'Bag' and 'baggage' can also mean 'obnoxious or immoral or ugly woman'. We will need more context to identify whether this is meant.

And what sort of 'discharge' were you thinking of, Iamar - a gun going off, or pus emerging from the private parts, or something else?

ewie

English English
    The bag here is in inverted commas.
    Maybe it's something the soldier's bagged, i.e. shot with a gun while out 'hunting'.
    Isn't guessing fun?:p

Teafrog

UK English (& rusty French…)
    What period is the story/sentence set in (Vietnam 1960s)? The fact that bag is in inverted comma suggests to me that it could be slang for something. Without inv-commas it would be a straightforward bag (of any sort).
    My suggestion: a 'bag' of drugs, a specific quantity of, say, marijuana (or whatever) :p

AWordLover

USA English
    I'll take a senseless guess as well. I'm guessing body-bag, meaning the soldier was shipped home dead.

I wouldn't be surprised if a moderated eliminated this thread for lack of context.

Iamarprestaraen

Russia
    Thank you for answers. I thought about demobilization, but there was no context except that this soldier was wounded during World War I.

< Previous | Next >