a balanced budget

reginaregina

Chinese
I saw this sentence in the dictionary.

"The presidency is a wonderful bully pulpit to convince the country of the need for a balanced budget."

This sentence is an example under the entry "bully pulpit". I just don't understand the whole meaning. How could the bully pulpit convince the country of the need for a balanced budget. Could a country control its budget? Isn't the budget is a market thing that can't be controlled by a government? Thank you.

• Perseas

Greek

reginaregina

Chinese
    Yes, a country can control its budget. According to this budget definition:
    a plan to show how much money a person or organization will earn and how much they will need or be able to spend.
    I would add "or a government".

As to the "balanced budget" you can look up here: http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=1494941
    So does this sentence mean:The presidency is convincing the country in need to spend as much as they earn although the country is in need. so other country(maybe where the presidency is coming from) can also earn some money.

Perseas

Greek
    So does this sentence mean:The presidency is convincing the country in need to spend as much as they earn although the country is in need.
    This is how I understand it:
    The presidency will offer the oppurtunity so that the government will be able to convince the people (country) that there is a need for a balanced budget (~to spend as much as they earn)

so other country(maybe where the presidency is coming from) can also earn some money.
    I can't see such reference in the original sentence.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    This seems to refer to a country where the president is more of a figure-head. Being above party-politics, he can tell his countrymen a few unpalatable truths without the fear of losing votes.

(Hi,Perseas) ;)

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >