a banco di prova inappellabile

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by andersxman, Mar 14, 2006.

1. andersxman Senior Member

Denmark/danish
    Does anyone have a good english translation of "a banco di prova inappellabile" ready at hand?

Thank you

2. Moogey Senior Member

New Jersey, USA
    USA English
    Ciao andersxman!

Ho un problema con la frase "a banco di prova" -- WR dice "test-bed" ma non ha senso. Tradurrei "inappellabile" come "unable to be appealed" ma non sono sicuro se ci sia una parola per la frase. Forse sai spiegare un po' di piu' o forse qualcuno altro lo capirebbe. Mi dispiace :(

-M

3. andersxman Senior Member

Denmark/danish
    Sorry, obviously it's "un banco di prova inappellabile".
    And it pertains to a certain ablity. What's meant is that the test of this certain skill is mandatory, and there is basically no way you can trick your way through this exam. (I believe that to be the meaning anyway)

4. Perhaps "a definitive test" (e.g. "An cardiac catheterization is a definitive medical test for coronary artery disease") ????

5. moodywop Banned

Southern Italy
    Italian - Italy
    Definitely:) . Can you also say "the ultimate test"? Here's a good example I found on google:

Una delle più belle cose del gioco del calcio consiste nell'assenza totale del nepotismo...Le raccomandazioni...non servono. Il campo è un banco di prova inappellabile ma accessibile a tutti quelli che lo meritano

It means that, whereas in other fields you can get a job you're not very good at by pulling strings, in soccer the ultimate, incontrovertible test of your skill is your performance on the playing field

6. You little ripper! Senior Member

Australia
    Australian English
    I would translate that simply as final testing ground because final means that it is inappealable or incontrobertible.

7. moodywop Banned

Southern Italy
    Italian - Italy
    Actually testing ground is a very good translation because a banco di prova is a place where you are tested rather than the test itself. Well done, Charles!

8. You little ripper! Senior Member

Australia
    Australian English
    Well, thank you Carlo. I'm just afraid now that I'm might not be able to get through the door tonight because my head will have swollen.

9. We also say "test of fire" or "test by fire."

Sometimes we use "proving ground" as well as "testing ground."

Anyway, all of these seem to be a lot closer than the "definitive test" I proposed earlier.