a bar of soap, a piece of soap

< Previous | Next >


Senior Member

I assume that a bar of soap means the soap that is just bought from a grocery store.
When we use it, it would become smaller and smaller.
Then what do you describe it? A piece of bar? bar piece ?

A: Where is that piece of soap / the soap piece in the bathroom? I can't find.
B: I threw it.

Thank you.
  • JulianStuart

    Senior Member
    English (UK then US)
    If it's no longer in the shape of a bar, we would generally call it a piece of soap or a lump of soap or, if referring to a particular one, "the soap" as in "where's the soap?". "Oh, it was so small I threw it away"


    Senior Member
    American English
    See post #3 if you're just looking for it. If you have something else in mind, please tell us.
    Last edited:


    Senior Member
    English - England
    I agree that within the context you give, #3 is the correct answer.

    If we are allowed to change the context very slightly then we could use the following:

    "There is a bar of soap on the floor."
    "There is a piece of soap on the floor."

    The decision about when a bar becomes a piece is a philosophical or personal one.
    < Previous | Next >