a baseball cap of some description

AlexanderIII

Russian
Hi, everybody,
Could you please help with a difficulty in the novel by Adrian McKinty "Fifty Grand"?

The one with the rifle had a John Deere hat pulled low over his face. The other was sporting a baseball cap of some description.

I am not quite sure about " some description ". It can guess it
1) was notable for some property as: very old, garish, dirty, etc;
2) have some inscription on it.

Could you help, please?

• Sharifa345

USA
    US English, DR Spanish
    I think your second instinct is right ... I think there it would refer to some team name or logo that the viewer could not see.

mplsray

I think your second instinct is right ... I think there it would refer to some team name or logo that the viewer could not see.
    Note that a baseball cap is a type of cap which is no longer necessarily associated with baseball. It could have a logo for a team from another sport, or for a company or commercial product, or it could be personalized with the wearer's name. The vagueness might even concern its construction: The brim of the cap might be solid while the body of the cap might be a plastic grid, for example, which might have struck the speaker as being unusual enough to warrant a remark, but not important enough to give the reader specifics.

< Previous | Next >