a batch after a batch of /many batches of /wave after wave of

< Previous | Next >

flowersophy

Chinese-China
Hi,

A: After years' teaching, Mr. Yuan has taught a batch after a batch of students.
B: After years' teaching, Mr. Yuan has taught many batches of students.
C: After years' teaching, Mr. Yuan has taught wave after wave of students.
Perhaps all the expressions in red are not right.The background is that Mr. Yuan taught many years in high school and he helped a batch of students admitted to college every three years. But I don't know how to say it in English. Is there a better way to say it?

Many thanks!

• dojibear

English - Northeast US
    "After" is incorrect. "After year's teaching" means when he had retired (had stopped teaching). He didn't teach any students "after". He taught them "while" or "during" the years he was teaching. This is often phrased as:

During years of teaching, Mr. Yuan...
    In his years as a teacher, Mr. Yuan...

I am puzzled by "every three years" instead of "every year". Don't students graduate every year? Does Mr. Yuan teach one group for three years?

I think "wave" is reasonable to mean the new group of students that enters grade 10 (or 11, or 12) each year, so your "wave after wave" red phrase sounds good to me.

I would avoid using "batch" for people. It's a bit insulting. We cook or build things in batches.

flowersophy

Chinese-China
    "After" is incorrect. "After year's teaching" means when he had retired (had stopped teaching). He didn't teach any students "after". He taught them "while" or "during" the years he was teaching. This is often phrased as:

During years of teaching, Mr. Yuan...
    In his years as a teacher, Mr. Yuan...

I am puzzled by "every three years" instead of "every year". Don't students graduate every year? Does Mr. Yuan teach one group for three years?

I think "wave" is reasonable to mean the new group of students that enters grade 10 (or 11, or 12) each year, so your "wave after wave" red phrase sounds good to me.

I would avoid using "batch" for people. It's a bit insulting. We cook or build things in batches.
    In many senior high schools of China, a teacher is often required to begin his teaching with Grade 1. He doesn't finish a round of teaching task until he makes the children through Grade 3, which takes three years. So, Mr. Yuan teaches a group of students for three years.
    dojibear, I think your answer is very helpful! Thank you so much!:thumbsup:

< Previous | Next >