a batch of

< Previous | Next >

navi

Banned
armenian
Which is correct:

1-He had a batch of books of the library.
2-He had a batch of the library's books.

• la grive solitaire

United States, English
    Hi navi,

Here's my suggestion:

1. He had a batch of books from the library.

2. He had a batch of the library's books. (Actually, I'd say, "He had a bunch of the library's books," but I don't know why because batch and bunch are synonyms. Bunch just sounds better to me... :) )

DesertCat

inglese | English
    The first sentence is unclear to me.

I would say:
    He had a batch of books from the library.

jacinta

USA English
    I use batch for baking. I bake a batch of cookies and also a batch of muffins.

I have a [ pile, bunch, lot ] of library books. I wouldn't use batch in this sense but others may, and I don't think it is wrong to do so. It's a matter of personal choice.

Artrella

Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    jacinta said:
    I use batch for baking. I bake a batch of cookies and also a batch of muffins.

I have a [ pile, bunch, lot ] of library books. I wouldn't use batch in this sense but others may, and I don't think it is wrong to do so. It's a matter of personal choice.

Jacinta, I have this doubt... suppose we can use "a batch of" which of the two sentences would be more correct? :)

jacinta

USA English
    This goes with another thread about possessives, I won't go search for it.

The sentence is "I have a batch, bunch of library books." Library acts as an adjective here. What kind of books? Library books.

We don't need to say that the books belong to the library. The description is enough to know that the books belong to the library.

Does this make sense?

jacinta

USA English
    To add: "I have some books from the library" sounds good to me if you are distinguishing books from two different locations.

He was working on his term paper and he used some books from the library as well as books from school.

Artrella

Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    jacinta said:
    This goes with another thread about possessives, I won't go search for it.

The sentence is "I have a batch, bunch of library books." Library acts as an adjective here. What kind of books? Library books.

We don't need to say that the books belong to the library. The description is enough to know that the books belong to the library.

Does this make sense?
    Yes, thank you Jacinta :)

garryknight

UK, English
    navi said:
    Which is correct:

As others have said, there are better ways of saying it, but I'm not sure if anyone's actually answered your question: number 1 is incorrect, number 2 is correct.

mjscott

American English
    navi said:
    Which is correct:

#1 could be corrected if it was He had a batch of books from the library. (not 'of')

Batches implies that their kind is similar. If you have a batch of books from the library, their similarity might be that they're all library books. However, when you are making something like construction concrete and making an analysis on its tensil strength, "batch" infers that they come from the same pour of concrete. Also, in dye lots when you are buying either textiles or yarn, you want bolts or skeins from the same dye lot, or batch--so that whatever quality they have is consistent throughout.

gaer

US-English
    la grive solitaire said:
    Hi navi,

Here's my suggestion:

1. He had a batch of books from the library.

2. He had a batch of the library's books. (Actually, I'd say, "He had a bunch of the library's books," but I don't know why because batch and bunch are synonyms. Bunch just sounds better to me... :) )
    I would also say "bunch" rather than "batch", but I don't know why.

Elroy's "stack" is excellent. :)

Gaer

< Previous | Next >