a beacon of humanity

HolyUnicorn

Mandarin / the Shanghai Dialect
Hello,

“In a modern world where refugees are both widespread and resented, Winton stands out as a beacon of humanity. Looking in the opposite direction, or just complaining, were not the Winton way. His combination of compassion and action offer a model for how to respond and, like him, not consider it particularly special to do so.”

From Nicholas Winton was a beacon of humanity | Jonathan Romain

I understand that “ a beacon of humanity” means a shining example of humanity. Does it imply #1 and #2?

1. People in the modern world should follow his example.
2. A lot of people in the modern world don’t care about refugees. (Hence, he is a point of light in the darkness)

• reno33

English - USA
    No.....it doesn't "imply" 1 and 2 at all. They are 3 separate pieces of information with some connection as far as subject matte -humanity and refugees - but none of them "imply" any other one. I think you are misusing the term "imply" which generally means that one item suggests another but that's not what's happening here.

lingobingo

English - England
    I agree that those very specific things can only be inferred from the context in which the phrase happens to be used in this case.

But in general, by describing someone as a “beacon of” something admirable, you do imply that he or she would be a good role model.

< Previous | Next >