a bear named Jan

Ry102

American English
Hallo!

I think the hardest thing with German (besides memorizing all those noun genders and plural forms) is the word order. I wrote the following sentence but I know it has to be wrong, but I really have no idea how to fix it or really why it is wrong. Any help from you grammarians out there would be greatly appreciated.

Ein Tag, der Bär, dessen Name Jan ist, geht nach dem Hause von seiner Freundin, Katrin.

Please help me reword and explain why the sentence must be set up the way it must be set up.

Vielen Dank!

• endefr

English - US
    You would never use the nominitive for "one day." For many time expressions, you use the accusative case, but for "one day," I would suggest "eines Tages" (dative case) -- it's basically an idiomatic expression.

I'm not sure about "dem" in your sentence -- it could be right, but I think I would say "geht nach Hause seiner Freundin".

Also, are you sure you want to use the present tense? -- It seems a little awkward to me.

Ry102

American English
    Thanks! The truth is I haven't really learnt the past tense. I know that usually you use the perfect tense except for "sein" "haben" and some other verbs which usually are written in the simple past (of course this is writting so I can use the simple past mosre often right?), but I haven't learned it yet. I guess I should probably get on that...

Eines Tages, der Bär, dessen Name Jan ist, ist nach Hause seiner Freundin, Katrin, gegangen.

Does that look right? Danke!

endefr

English - US
    That works...
    If you wanted to use the simple past, it would be:
    Eines Tages, der Baer, dessen Name Jan ist (oder: der Jan heisst), ging nach Hause seiner Freundin Katrin.
    Of course, "gehen" is irregular. :)

Carlo66

USA
    German-Austria
    Guten Abend,

Eine bessere Uebersetzung waere meiner Meinung nach:

Eines Tages ging ein Baer mit dem Namen Jan zum Haus seiner Freundin Katrin.

(Das Verb sollte eigentlich immer in der zweiten Position sein)

Carlo66

USA
    German-Austria
    oops, der bestimmte Artikel ...der Baer... kann natuerlich beibehalten werden; kommt darauf an, was ausgedrueckt werden soll.

< Previous | Next >