a bear

Tea Addict

Republic of Korea Korean
Hello everyone! I am wondering what the word "a bear" means in the following excerpt:

"Does mummy know?"
"Not about your skulls and consumptives. She knows you were in the clink. I told her. She was divine about it, of course. You know anything Uncle Ned did was always perfect, and he got locked up once for taking a bear into one of Lloyd George's meetings, so she really feels quite human about the whole thing. She wants you both to lunch with her."

This is an excerpt from Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh. Two protagonists, Charles Ryder and Sebastian Flyte, accompanied Boy Mulcaster to visit the Old Hundredth. There the two made two ladies join them, who resembled a skull and a consumptive respectively; hence, skulls and consumptives. But the problem was that even though they were very tight, Sebastian took the wheel, drove absurdly, and was arrested by the police along with Charles and Boy. After going through all the hassle presenting himself to the court for a trial and being fined, Sebastian was now worried as to what his mother would think.

But here, I cannot grasp what "a bear" means in this context.
I would very much appreciate your help! :)

• velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    If you're wondering how Uncle Ned came by a real live bear, I'd say he probably borrowed it (for a fee) from a travelling fair or circus.

Tea Addict

Republic of Korea Korean
    Dear Andygc and velisarius,

Wow really. I thought it was a slang for some drug or something.
    Thank you so much for helping me! :)

< Previous | Next >