A beat girl

Odarpi

Polish - Poland
Is this expression clear to you? Does it mean the girl is attractive?

"So who did Nick bring home last night?" Evelyn asked.
"[...] A girl. She's rather beat. Thirty-five or something"

S. Clifford - Everybody Rise

JustKate

Moderate Mod
English - US
This sounds so odd to me that the first thing I thought of was "beat" as in "beatnik." That doesn't fit the context, but that's what I thought of first.

Loob

English UK
I've never heard it either, but submissions to the Urban Dictionary suggest that it means "ugly":

beat
Extremely ugly; probably derived from "beat with the ugly stick"
Man, I thought she'd have some hot friends, but boy, were they beat!
by Alison July 23, 2002
:thumbsup:1589:thumbsdown:770

beat
straight out ugly. disgusting and hideous. atrocious.
yo that girl is beat
by peeleep October 27, 2004
:thumbsup:805:thumbsdown:458

Myridon

English - US
When I'm tired, I say "I'm beat!" "She's beat." doesn't seem that odd (though I admit that I did consider whether the novel might be old enought that she knew Ginsberg and Kerouac).

owlman5

English-US
"Beat" meaning "lame/bad/crappy, etc." existed among a certain group of kids I knew back in the late 70s. I'm mildly surprised that others in the world have also given it this meaning in the 21st century. Although I've never heard any other people use it, those kids might have picked it up from someone else back then. Until I saw this thread, I thought the word disappeared when they did.

As they used it, "You're beat" meant "You're lame/you suck."

Last edited:

JustKate

Moderate Mod
English - US
When I'm tired, I say "I'm beat!" "She's beat." doesn't seem that odd (though I admit that I did consider whether the novel might be old enought that she knew Ginsberg and Kerouac).
If you're talking about how tired someone is, "She's beat" sounds fine. "She's rather beat" sounds a bit odder but still possible. But this context doesn't make it sound at all as though they are discussing the level of tiredness of this person. So it sounds very odd indeed.

I think the slang meanings suggested by Owlman and others work much better. :thumbsup:

Myridon

English - US
But this context doesn't make it sound at all as though they are discussing the level of tiredness of this person. So it sounds very odd indeed.
With no more context, it's possible that he picked her up in a bar very late at night, brought her home, and they got very little sleep so she is tired. ;)

Dale Texas

English USA
The quote was also "Thirty five or something." So...which is more likely the meaning here as a motive for mentioning her age at all? She looks tired because of her age, because younger people never look tired or even get tired? or "She looks way too old for me, look at her face, she must be 35 years old."

Sepia

High German/Danish
Is this expression clear to you? Does it mean the girl is attractive?

"So who did Nick bring home last night?" Evelyn asked.
"[...] A girl. She's rather beat. Thirty-five or something"

S. Clifford - Everybody Rise

What year is that from?

pob14

American English
With no more context, it's possible that he picked her up in a bar very late at night, brought her home, and they got very little sleep so she is tired. ;)
Well, as near as I can glean from Google Books, that's exactly the context. Nick and Pres have an ongoing context to see who can bring a girl home, using an opening line that relates to financial matters. Nick apparently won on this occasion, and is described as high on cocaine. Immediately after this conversation, Nick tries to sneak the girl out of the house, and her eyes are mascara-stained, presumably from the night before.

I don't know how much this actually helps, but this is all we have about the girl that I can find in the Google preview.