A Beaton?

< Previous | Next >

upgrader

Chinese
Hi everyone,

I am reading Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. In chapter 4, I don't understand 'A Beaton' in this:
[
"But he's hurt. He was shot yesterday and stabbed last night. I bandaged the wound for riding, but I didn't have time to clean or dress it properly. I must care for it now, before it gets infected."
"Oh, aye, I know what ye mean. But do ye mean to say as ye know what to do for that? Are ye a charmer then? A Beaton?"
]

I can only find the world as a surname, but it is not what it means here. Anybody can help? Thank you in anticipation.

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Hi everyone,

I am reading Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. In chapter 4, I don't understand 'A Beaton' in this:
    [
    "But he's hurt. He was shot yesterday and stabbed last night. I bandaged the wound for riding, but I didn't have time to clean or dress it properly. I must care for it now, before it gets infected."
    "Oh, aye, I know what ye mean. But do ye mean to say as ye know what to do for that? Are ye a charmer then? A Beaton?"
    ]

I can only find the world as a surname, but it is not what it means here. Anybody can help? Thank you in anticipation.
    It is, nevertheless, a surname. From the book:
    "I was wondering," he said, taking swift advantage of my answering smile, "seeing as how you've not a great deal to occupy your time at present, you might think of having a look at the things Davie Beaton left behind him. You might know the uses of a few of his medicines and such."
    Obviously, the Beatons were doctors of some sort.

Crosspost with Myridon

upgrader

Chinese
    I agree. It's a surname or a kind of doctors, charmers. Maybe also just a name made-up by the author. I'll leave it. Thank you, Myridon and PaulQ for your help.

Dacaria

English - usa
    Hi everyone,

[
    ]

A Beaton is a Sottish surname. The family were physicians, hereditary healers to the Scottish kingdom, and surrounding counties, until the 18th century, with the last Beaton healer being Niel Beaton in 1763.

< Previous | Next >