A becoming aware???

Frigolin

Senior Member
Argentina - Español
Hi there everyone! I was wondering whether this sentence sounds fine to you:

A becoming aware of realities I hadn´t been totally conscious of.

What do you say? Can I use the "A" before "becoming"? And what about the rest? Does it make any sense?

Thanks in advance

Best regards
 
  • Rich696

    Senior Member
    England, English
    Except in very complicated grammatical sentences, "a" cannot be used before becoming and is such sentences are rarely spoken English.


    I think, if I've interpreted correctly, the sentence would sound better as: I hvae become aware of realities that I hadn't been totally conscious of.
     

    Frigolin

    Senior Member
    Argentina - Español
    Rich696 said:
    Except in very complicated grammatical sentences, "a" cannot be used before becoming and is such sentences are rarely spoken English.


    I think, if I've interpreted correctly, the sentence would sound better as: I hvae become aware of realities that I hadn't been totally conscious of.
    Thanks Rich! yet, it has to work as a noun in the text.

    Can I just say "Becoming aware of realities that I hadn´t been totally conscious of"?
     

    Rich696

    Senior Member
    England, English
    Suzi's right, it really depends. If nothing comes after it, then it doesn't sound correct, because the becoming indicates that the sentence needs to be qualified. E.g. Becoming aware of realities that I hadn't been aware of, I decided to change my lifestyle.
     

    Frigolin

    Senior Member
    Argentina - Español
    Rich696 said:
    Suzi's right, it really depends. If nothing comes after it, then it doesn't sound correct, because the becoming indicates that the sentence needs to be qualified. E.g. Becoming aware of realities that I hadn't been aware of, I decided to change my lifestyle.
    Gotcha! I see it now. I´ll have to rewrite the sentence since that´s the end of my paragraph. Let me show you:

    Then, the collapse, and a different way of facing my personal situation related to my artistic and professional activity. Becoming aware of realities I hadn´t been totally conscious of.

    I´m posting the sentence revised in a minute.

    Thanks guys! You´re very generous

    Muak
     

    Frigolin

    Senior Member
    Argentina - Español
    How about this:

    Then, the collapse, and a different way of facing my personal situation related to my artistic and professional activity. I became aware of realities that I hadn´t been totally conscious of. ?

    What do you think? Does it sound more natural?

    ;)
     

    citygirl

    Member
    USA English
    You shouldn't end a sentence with "of" You may want to re-write to say " I became aware of realities that I hadn´t been totally conscious of previously"
     

    Frigolin

    Senior Member
    Argentina - Español
    Ohhhh, I thought I could. Is it a general rule? What if I say: That´s something I wasn´t aware of.
    Or I don´t know what it consisted of.
    Is this sentence in particular that doesn´t sound right? :(
     

    elroy

    Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Ending a sentence with "of" is fine.

    One of the problems here is that you have a pair of fragments, not sentences. There is no verb, so it's hard to correct your fragments. Perhaps you could provide more context. Are these fragments part of a longer paragraph?
     

    Frigolin

    Senior Member
    Argentina - Español
    elroy said:
    Ending a sentence with "of" is fine.

    One of the problems here is that you have a pair of fragments, not sentences. There is no verb, so it's hard to correct your fragments. Perhaps you could provide more context. Are these fragments part of a longer paragraph?
    They are, Elroy. They´re part of a biography I´m translating into English. And that´s a whole paragraph and the author tends to avoid the use of verbs.
     

    Kelly B

    Senior Member
    USA English
    "a growing awareness of..." would fit the style of your original construction, if you'd prefer. How about
    ....a growing awareness of realities that I had not previously perceived.
     

    citygirl

    Member
    USA English
    Ending a sentence in "of" (or any preoposition) is risky. Purists would say it isn't correct. Modernists would say it's okay. I am ambivalent but think in most cases it sounds awkward (especially here).
     

    elroy

    Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    citygirl said:
    Ending a sentence in "of" (or any preoposition) is risky. Purists Pedants who are unfortunately stuck on an unfounded rule would say it isn't correct. Modernists Sensible users of English would say it's okay. I am ambivalent but think in most cases it sounds awkward (especially here).
    I am a self-proclaimed purist, and I'm like you. I evaluate the advisability of a preposition at the end of the sentences on a case-by-case basis. Sometimes I can construct a sentence in which it sounds better to move it away from the end, but at other times a preposition at the end of a sentence simply must be made use of.
     

    Frigolin

    Senior Member
    Argentina - Español
    Interesting indeed. I can´t explain why (I´m not a native, this is probably the reason) but I like the of at the end of this particular sentence.
    And I appreciate Kelly´s colaboration; I believe I´ll rewrite the first part of my sentence.

    A growing awareness of realities that I hadn´t been totally conscious of.

    I´m really grateful! Thanks Rich, Suzi, Elroy, Citygirl and Kelly.

    And Happy Holidays!!!! ;)
     
    < Previous | Next >
    Top