A bellman will show you to the front desk.?

nana-77

Japanese
Hi,

I read these lines (the first ones) in an English text book but I feel like these are wrong.
But maybe I'm wrong so I would like to make sure which ones are correct.
Thank you.
The words written in Pink are my opinion.

1)A bellman will show you to the front desk.
There will be a bellman who will show you to the reception.?

2)A staff member will be there shortly.
There will be a staff member who will be there shortly.

3)Let me confirm that I have your reservation correct.
⇒ Let me confirm that I have your reservation correctly. ?

4)Could you serve you anything else?
⇒ Could I serve you anything else?

5)We require a deposit of one and a half times your room fee.
⇒ We require a deposit of one and a half times of your room fee.

6)Would you like to talk to them yourself?
⇒Would you like to talk to them by yourself ?

Thank you very much for your help!
Best wishes,

• lingobingo

English - England
    4 is nonsense (as you say, it’s probably meant as I rather than you) but all the others are perfectly correct as they stand.

Uncle Jack

British English
    Lingobingo is correct that none of these need improving, except 4 which is wrong.
    If your first two alternatives, use 'there is' not 'there will be'. Presumably the people exist now, but are somewhere else.
    'Reception' doesn't usually have an article (unlike 'Front Desk' which does).
    With these changes, both your first two alternatives would be acceptable.

It has to be 'correct', an adjective referring to reservation. There is no verb in the sentence to which 'correctly' could apply, unlike, for instance, 'Let me confirm that I have printed your reservation correctly'.

We don't say 'times of' when multiplying. Where 'times' isn't used, 'of' is probably required. 'The deposit is fifteen percent of your room fee'.

'By yourself' has a different meaning from 'yourself'. The original sentence means would you like to talk to them directly, without an intermediary. You have changed it to meaning would you like to talk to them alone, without anyone else being present.

nana-77

Japanese
    Thank you very much!!
    Your explanation is so clear and I am happy to know all those things.
    Thank you!

wa
    Lingobingo is correct that none of these need improving, except 4 which is wrong.
    If your first two alternatives, use 'there is' not 'there will be'. Presumably the people exist now, but are somewhere else.
    'Reception' doesn't usually have an article (unlike 'Front Desk' which does).
    With these changes, both your first two alternatives would be acceptable.

It has to be 'correct', an adjective referring to reservation. There is no verb in the sentence to which 'correctly' could apply, unlike, for instance, 'Let me confirm that I have printed your reservation correctly'.

We don't say 'times of' when multiplying. Where 'times' isn't used, 'of' is probably required. 'The deposit is fifteen percent of your room fee'.

'By yourself' has a different meaning from 'yourself'. The original sentence means would you like to talk to them directly, without an intermediary. You have changed it to meaning would you like to talk to them alone, without anyone else being present.

kadioguy

Chinese
    Why don't you write the following?

If your first two alternatives use 'there is', not 'there will be', they presumably means the people exist now, but are somewhere else.

Are both of them acceptable? :rolleyes:

Uncle Jack

British English

If your first two alternatives use 'there is', not 'there will be', they presumably means the people exist now, but are somewhere else.

Sorry, the first word in my original post should have been 'In'.

kadioguy

Chinese
    Sorry, the first word in my original post should have been 'In'.
    Thank you for reply. :)

I cannot find buttons like 'thumbs-up' or 'like', so I have to write this new post to thank you.
    ------

It is a typo.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >