A Bengal tiger has killed a lion ...

< Previous | Next >

Allegro molto

Japanese
Hello

A Bengal tiger has killed a lion at the Ankara Zoo in Turkey after it entered the lion's enclosure via a hole in the fence that separated the two animals.
According to a statement from the Agriculture Ministry on Monday, the lion was seriously injured by the tiger's claw in the attack, which took place on 4 September 2010, and could not be saved.
It has been reported by local media that the tiger severed the lion's jugular vein in a single stroke.
(from Tiger kills lion in Turkish zoo, YAHOO)

I’m interested in the use of the "has killed". Is it related to the fact that the matter happened very recently. As time passes, people will say "A Bengal tiger killed a lion".
Am I right in supposing the "has killed" was used because the matter is hot, very recent.
Or is it a way of reporting used by the media?

Thank you

• sdgraham

USA English
    Or is it a way of reporting used by the media?
    Hi Allegro

Good observation.

I can only speak from my nearly 30 years' experience in the American newspaper industry, but there, anything more than 36 hours old (or so) gets shoved into the present perfect to avoid highlighting the fact that the particular news medium involved is playing "catch-up."

Last edited:

Allegro molto

Japanese
    Hi Allegro

Good observation.

I can only speak from my nearly 30 years' experience in the American newspaper industry, but there, anything more than 36 hours old (or so) gets shoved into the present perfect to avoid highlighting the fact that the particular news medium involved is playing "catch-up."
    Hello, sdgraham

Thank you very much for your reply.

Would you please explain the brown part a little more?

sdgraham

USA English
    Would you please explain the brown part a little more?
    Sure.

In most of the world, the news business is competitive. That means that there are multiple media outlets trying to attract readers/listeners/viewers rather than have them go elsewhere.

That means that the news outlet tries to craft its reports in a manner that shows that it is aware of things that happen with only a small time interval between occurrence and report.

On the other hand, some incidents are considered to be of sufficient importance that they cannot be ignored, even if it is "old news." Thus, the time element is suppressed by use of the present perfect.

In your example of an event happening last September, that's ancient history as far as news media are concerned.

< Previous | Next >