a better communication today, means a minor disease tomorrow

< Previous | Next >

Graphic_Designer

Italian
Hello guys, I have some doubts about this sentence in bold.
Is it correct? Can you understand its meaning?
Many thanks.

Furthermore, as a diabetic person, I can truly understand the importance of communication in the health sector.
This is the reason why I think that the XXX would be the perfect job for me:
I know that a better communication today, means a minor disease tomorrow, and I will do all my best to reach this goal.

:)

• Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I know that a better communication today, means a minor disease tomorrow.

I find this sentence rather odd. Aside from the fact that grammatically, there should be no comma before the verb—you seem to be saying that better communication leads to diseases. This doesn't make sense to me.

Graphic_Designer

Italian
    I'm trying to say the opposite:

If we communicate to people in a good way TODAY, they'll probably have less problems TOMORROW.
    If we communicate well today, we'll have less diabetic people tomorrow.
    Prevention is better than cure.
    An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

I'd like to explain this concept with my own words: prevention is better than cure it's OK, but too informal for a covering letter.
    Am I wrong?

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Which of these sentences do you want to use, and please specify which word or phrase you're asking about. We're not permitted to proofread or to answer several questions in the same thread.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    Meanwhile, 'fewer' is used for plural nouns like people and problems. 'Less' is for the 'uncountables' or grammatical singulars. Not that most people know or care these days. I suggest you keep it simple and don't try to express clever ideas when your writing skills aren't up to it. Writing in a foreign language is the most difficult of the four skills required.

Which of the four you propose do you know for sure is correct?

Hermione

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    Meanwhile, 'fewer' is used for plural nouns like people and problems. 'Less' is for the 'uncountables' or grammatical singulars. Not that most people know or care these days.
    :thumbsup:
    It is particularly important that you should care in this case, because with "less" it is genuinely ambiguous. We don't know whether it's a mistake for "fewer" or whether you actually mean we'll have people tomorrow who will be "less diabetic", i.e. who will have a less severe form of the disease.

< Previous | Next >