A better term Is/will be/would be

< Previous | Next >

fortifier

Persian
“A better term to convey this concept is/ will be/ would be ‘monad’”

I know that “would” functions as the past tense of “will”, to express a hypothetical condition, and to sound polite and formal, and I am also aware that a lot of questions have been asked in the forum regarding the usage of “would”. I did a search but couldn’t find the answer to my question. For me the third function of “would” is somehow problematic. I need to know if the sentence above is correct using each of those choices, and if so, is the difference just a matter of formality or does the meaning also change?

Thanks

Last edited:
  • owlman5

English-US
    All three versions seem possible to me, fortifier. I don't see any advantage in using "will be" or "would be" instead of "is" in that sentence. I'd use "is" if I really believed that "monad" was a better term.

fortifier

Persian
    All three versions seem possible to me, fortifier. I don't see any advantage in using "will be" or "would be" instead of "is" in that sentence. I'd use "is" if I really believed that "monad" was a better term.
    I thought maybe using “will” or “would” indicates that replacing the current word with “monad” will express your idea better, but using “is” only means “monad” is a better term but does not suggest replacing it.

owlman5

English-US
    I thought maybe using “will” or “would” indicates that replacing the current word with “monad” will express your idea better, but using “is” only means “monad” is a better term but does not suggest replacing it.
    Those verbs don't change the force of your suggestion, fortifier. In a way, you have already suggested that people use "monad" once you tell us it is a better term. "Would", "will", or "is" don't add to or detract from that idea.

< Previous | Next >