A better word for Half ass

< Previous | Next >

teacherdehnavi

Persian
Is there another word for a person who doesn't finish most of the things he starts? I am looking for a synonym for Half @s*

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Could you write that in full?

If you mean half-ass/half-arse - then, as far as I am aware, this does not exist as a noun, only as an adjective -> half-assed/half-arsed and means "poor quality; stupid; inept; unskilled; amateur; careless, etc." and has little or nothing to do with only doing half of a job.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    I can't think of a specific word for somebody who never completes a project or goal, whatever. I'd have to think of a phrase that could include 'chronic failure to achieve' and words like that. 'Under-achiever' isn't quite the same but it might be suitable, depending on the context.

ewie

English English
    My ears are burning.
    A gentleman of my acquaintance often refers to me as Half-job Hannah >:mad:< but, to judge from the Google search results, he's the only person in the universe to use that term:rolleyes:

sound shift

English - England
    I can't think of a specific word for somebody who never completes a project or goal, whatever. I'd have to think of a phrase that could include 'chronic failure to achieve' and words like that. 'Under-achiever' isn't quite the same but it might be suitable, depending on the context.
    I'm with you here. I'm thinking of "He never sees things through", "She only does half a job" and so on.

Oh, I *like* that, ewie - I'm going to adopt it forthwith:D
    Oh dear. We'd better watch out now:(.

bibliolept

AE, Español
    You could call that person a quitter.

If you mean half-ass/half-arse - then, as far as I am aware, this does not exist as a noun, only as an adjective ->
    It's actually widely used as a verb, colloquially: To half-ass something is to do it poorly, carelessly, or otherwise in an inadequate or substandard fashion.

teacherdehnavi

Persian
    You could call that person a quitter.

It's actually widely used as a verb, colloquially: To half-ass something is to do it poorly, carelessly, or otherwise in an inadequate or substandard fashion.
    Can it mean "cut corners"
    I'm with you here. I'm thinking of "He never sees things through", "She only does half a job" and so on.

Oh dear. We'd better watch out now:(.
    What about corner cutter?

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    teacherdehnavi, we need the complete sentence, in context, if we are to be able to help you. Without that, we are just guessing at a list of synonyms, and we neither guess nor provide lists of synonyms here.

teacherdehnavi

Persian
    teacherdehnavi, we need the complete sentence, in context, if we are to be able to help you. Without that, we are just guessing at a list of synonyms, and we neither guess nor provide lists of synonyms here.
    Yes I am sorry for not abiding by the rules. I promise to write an example for my questions from now on.

Teacher: why do you always half ass your homework and projects?

Teacher: why do you always cut corners on your homework and projects?

Do those sound the same.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    I don't think "half ass" works as a verb. :(

To "cut corners" suggests doing a botched job or one which is finished but unsatisfactory. I think I'd probably say:
    "Why do you only half-finish your homework and projects?" :)

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    Teacher: why do you always half ass your homework and projects?:cross:
    Teacher: Why do you do such a half-assed job of homework and projects.:tick:
    Teacher: why do you always cut corners on your homework and projects?:tick:

But a teacher would never say this. It is slang and vulgar.

In AE, I have never heard the verb "half ass". I do not think it exists. I have heard "half-assed" many times, but it never refers to a person. I have only seen or heard it in the expression "do a half-assed job of something".

The WR dictionary lists "half-assed" but does not list "half-ass" or "half ass". It says that "half-assed" is slang and vulgar.

Loob

English UK
    I'm sorry, teacherdehnavi.

Like Donny and doji, I don't think this works:
    Teacher: why do you always half ass your homework and projects?:thumbsdown:

bibliolept

AE, Español
    "Half-ass" should certainly not be used in any but casual contexts and might be considered vulgar.

It is, however, widely used informally as a verb. I challenge anyone to come up with a sample construction using the phrase as a verb that does not yield at least a few search-engine results, if not numerous ones.

Loob

English UK
    Would teacherdehnavi's sentence have worked for you, biblio?
    Teacher: why do you always half ass your homework and projects?

< Previous | Next >