a better <wounde herbe> in the world

NewAmerica

Mandarin
Does "wounde herbe" mean "herb that heals wounds"? OneLook only offers one entry for "wounde", which turns out to be "Sorry no definitions found."

Thanks in advance

Prunella vulgaris is a common herb in Britain and is especially visible on lawns that have not been treated with weedkiller. The plant has a long history of medicinal use, and traditionally the leaves are applied to wounds to promote healing. According to the 16th-century herbalist John Gerard, ‘there is not a better wounde herbe in the world’. The 17th-century botanist Nicholas Culpeper wrote that the plant is called selfheal because ‘when you are hurt, you may heal yourself’.

-KewScience

Source

• heypresto

English - England
    I'm not surprised you didn't find it in the dictionary - this is a spelling from the 16th century.

You've guessed correctly. As the rest of the paragraph explains, it's a herb used for healing wounds.

Packard

USA, English
    I think most will agree that Middle English and Old English vary enough from Modern English to be considered nearly an entirely different language.

We had to memorize the opening lines to the Canterbury Tales in Middle English when I was in high school. A few of the words were recognizable, but without the footnotes the passage was unitelligible.

Almost an entirely different language.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    John Gerard was born about the same time as Shakespeare, Packard. This is certainly not "another language" in the way that Old English was, and it's very much more easily understood today than Chauser's Chaucer's language is.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >