A bewildering array of titles exist/exists

< Previous | Next >

french&spanishstudent

UK English
Dear all,

I'm hoping that you can clear something up for me. I am writing an assignment and I am doubting something that I have written and I'd like to know whether you would say:

Gifted and Talented education – pupil and parent guarantees Gifted and Talented education – pupil and parent guarantees A bewildering array of titles exists for pupils who are perceived to be... (relating to the singular array)

or is it

Gifted and Talented education – pupil and parent guarantees A bewildering array of titles exist for pupils who are perceived to be (relating to the plural titles)

Thank you in advance.

• Loob

English UK
    Hi f&ss

Assuming your sentence starts "A bewildering array..." then I vote for "exists". Singular....:)

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    I would personally tend towards plural, because you're not particularly talking about the array as an array, you're talking about the titles. 'Array' is one of those intermediate words ('group', 'range', 'bunch' etc.) where both numbers sound about equally good.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Let's change it to one of eb's example words

Some (number of) titles exist ... or Some number (of titles) exists ...
    and consider what can be left out and convey the desired sense.

I'm with eb - what we are referring to in this case seems to me to be the titles rather than the array - the sense is of the multiplicity of the titles rather than their arrangement or inclusion in a single array.

< Previous | Next >