a big cat brush side me

Himanshu Sindhi

Hindi
This question was asked in an exam in India as...

In the following questions, some parts of the sentences have errors and some are correct. Find out which part of a sentence has an error. The number of that part is the answer. If a sentence is free from error, your answer is (4) i.e. No error.

When I returned I felt (1)/ a big cat brush side me (2)/ as I opened the door. (3)/ No Error (4)

As per the official answer key, the error is in "part 2". Some site says it would be "brush past".
Please Explain the meaning of the sentence in simple words.

• kentix

English - U.S.
    One other thing to note:

"Big cat" is frequently a reference to a lion or tiger or leopard. So I first pictured a lion coming out of the house. :D

If I wrote that sentence I would write "large cat".

Truffula

English - USA
    The meaning of the sentence is:

I came back to some place I had been before. When I opened the door, an animal (either a large housecat, or a member of some other feline species such as bobcat or jaguar) came out. The fur on the side of its body touched, lightly but tangibly, the side of my body (on my leg or hip, probably) as it walked by me.

sdgraham

USA English
    Would 'fat cat' work?
    A "fat cat" is not a feline.:rolleyes:
    (AE)
    WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2018
    fat cat, [Slang.]
    1. Government, Slang Terms a wealthy person from whom large political campaign contributions are expected.
    2. Slang Term sany wealthy person, esp. one who has become rich quickly through questionable dealings.
    3. Slang Terms an important, influential, or famous person.
    4. Slang Terms a person who has become lazy or self-satisfied as the result of privilege or advantage.

boozer

Bulgarian
    A "fat cat" is not a feline.:rolleyes:
    Indeed, not necessarily. It is an expression I have always loved. I seize every opportunity to use it. :D

However, a sentence like 'A fat/big cat brushed against my leg' would surely be understood to refer to a big/fat domestic cat doing it, despite the nuances of meaning given by Kentix and SDGraham. It is common sense, really. The presence of tigers and jaguars would be felt more keenly by the speaker and he would be a lot more perturbed by it, under normal circumstances. And then, wealthy big shots would seldom crawl past on all fours, tails high up in the air. :D

< Previous | Next >