a big chunk of

quietdandelion

Banned
Formosa/Chinese
I nearly choked when I swallowed a big chunk of quava.

Chunk in my dictionary is synonymous with piece/mass/wad/bulk, but I wonder if I could say a big piece/mass/wad/bulk of quava. Correct me if I am wrong.

• AWordLover

USA English
    Hi qd,

Once again we get down to what you could say, and what a native speaker would be likely to say. Only piece or chunk sound good to me for specifying some of a guava that I might swallow.

quietdandelion

Banned
    Formosa/Chinese
    Hi qd,

Once again we get down to what you could say, and what a native speaker would be likely to say. Only piece or chunk sound good to me for specifying some of a guava that I might swallow.
    Thanks, AWordLover.
    If it's a written English, could I write a big mass/wad/bulk of quava as well?

By the way, I'm not quite sure what you mean "get down to what you could say"; I guess it signifies "we deal with/tackle ony what you could say," right?

AWordLover

USA English
    Thanks, AWordLover.
    If it's a written English, could I write a big mass/wad/bulk of quava as well?

By the way, I'm not quite sure what you mean "get down to what you could say"; I guess it signifies "we deal with/tackle ony what you could say," right?
    Hi qd,

You are right about what "get down to" means.
    In this thread I would make no distinction between written and spoken English.

It would not be grammatically incorrect to write he nearly choked on a big wad/mass/bulk of guava, it just wouldn't sound natural.

Matching Mole

England, English
    QD, I wouldn't say that these words are synonymous:

Piece: a part of something larger, can be small
    Chunk: A large thick piece, cut or broken off a bigger mass.
    Mass: A body of matter of no particular shape, usually very large
    Wad: A compressed bundle of soft material
    Bulk is the property of an object, not a word for an object itself, as far as I know. In other words I don't believe there is such a thing as "a bulk".

Out of these, only piece and chunk would do for a section of guava, although it could become a wad if chewed, as this word is often used for things that have been chewed, such as tobacco and gum.

< Previous | Next >