a big enough one that the federal government can withhold...

< Previous | Next >

Vanloon

Hindi
581: Anatomy of Doubt - This American Life

Marie
He told me that if I took a lie detector test and it came back that I was lying, that he was going to take me to jail himself.
Ken Armstrong
Using a polygraph on a rape victim is a mistake, a big enough one that the federal government can withhold money from states if their police departments do it. The tests are seen as a deterrent to women coming forward to report sexual assault.

context: People thinks that Marie was lying that she got raped.
Q: Meaning of the underlined phrase is not easy for me. Could you paraphrase into easy English like you are saying to Kids.
Thanks in advance!

• Egmont

English - U.S.
    It (giving lie detector tests to rape victims) is such a big mistake that the government can punish states whose police departments that do it. They punish those departments by not giving those states money. These sentences don't say what money, but it must be money that they would receive otherwise.

kentix

English - U.S.
    I'll rearrange the sentences a bit.

The tests are seen as a deterrent to women coming forward to report sexual assault, therefore using a polygraph on a rape victim is considered a mistake. It's considered a big enough one mistake that the federal government can withhold money from states if their police departments in those states do it do give polygraph tests to women that have reported they were raped.

kentix

English - U.S.
    Just by way of information, this is a radio show and the transcript includes this introductory note.

Note: This American Life is produced for the ear and designed to be heard. If you are able, we strongly encourage you to listen to the audio, which includes emotion and emphasis that's not on the page. Transcripts are generated using a combination of speech recognition software and human transcribers, and may contain errors. Please check the corresponding audio before quoting in print.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I looked the text and had no problems with it. There's lot of unscripted speech quoted, but it seems fine to me, and I'm not particularly familiar with American speech.

Vanloon

Hindi
    I looked the text and had no problems with it. There's lot of unscripted speech quoted, but it seems fine to me, and I'm not particularly familiar with American speech.
    Thanks a lot!
    [Off-topic question removed. DonnyB - moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:
    < Previous | Next >