A big hit

economistegypt2010

Arabic, العربية
Can I say the following: (In a business context)
1-(The advertising campaign will make a big hit in the all region)
2-(The advertising campaign has made a hit with the all people)

Note: I mainly want to say the campaign succeeded a huge success, that's what I wanted to say. But PLEASE guys correct me any mistakes in the examples that was written above. I'll really appreciate any examples or calrifications that you can offer.

• economistegypt2010

Arabic, العربية
    Your use of "hit" is correct—idiomatic. "in the all region" and "with the all people" are not. You would have to ask about them in separate threads.
    Thank you Fabulist. But I'm not asking about anything in this thread but the using of the word (Hit) in the two contexts. That's what I wanted to ask about nothing more. Fabulist, Are these examples used in business or they're strange?

economistegypt2010

Arabic, العربية
    I would use will be a big hit/has been a big hit -- make a big hit sounds a little bomb-like. :)
    Thank you Copyright. (Sounds a little bomb-like)Yes, That's what I wanted to express about. By the way we can use something close to that meaning in our accent but is it unusual or strange if I say make a big hit especially when it comes to deal with foreigners.

Copyright

American English
    Thank you Fabulist. But I'm not asking about anything in this thread but the using of the word (Hit) in the two contexts. That's what I wanted to ask about nothing more.
    Once a member answers a question directly, he or she may politely suggest that other parts of a sentence may have problems. It's simply a courtesy -- so that someone doesn't go away thinking everything is all right. If you don't need or want the advice, please try to ignore it -- it is usually done with the best of intentions.

Copyright

American English
    Thank you Copyright. (Sounds a little bomb-like)Yes, That's what I wanted to express about. By the way we can use something close to that meaning in our accent but is it unusual or strange if I say make a big hit especially when it comes to deal with foreigners.
    One definition of bomb is to be a failure, so I would steer clear of this myself -- but I think you'll be understood. What you choose will depend on your audience: if it's advertising people, I think be a hit might be better. But this is personal opinion.

economistegypt2010

Arabic, العربية
    Once a member answers a question directly, he or she may politely suggest that other parts of a sentence may have problems. It's simply a courtesy -- so that someone doesn't go away thinking everything is all right. If you don't need or want the advice, please try to ignore it -- it is usually done with the best of intentions.
    I totally agree with what you've just mentioned. We all here to help each others. And we're all as (learners) appreciate any advice that any member can offer. And we're all in need of any advice that may be offered from you and we can't ignore it at all. I didn't mean anything by the way but it might be because I'm still learner

Copyright

American English
    It did sound a wee bit harsh despite the opening "Thank you" -- which is why I mentioned it: It's the "Thank you, but ..." problem. :)

One of the problems with the written word is that we don't get the visual cues from people (smiles, frowns, puzzlement, etc.) that we get in conversations with them, so it's easier to misunderstand and to be misunderstood. I think that's why Smileys were invented. ;)

< Previous | Next >